I have gone through many different tryouts throughout my career. Having endured so many, I have had the opportunity to learn from each one. In the beginning, I did not have much success at the whole try out thing. However, I did eventually learn what needed to be done in order to impress coaches and have broken it down into five steps. These steps can also be applied to just about any sport.
5 Steps To Take For A Successful Sports Tryout
- BE AGGRESSIVE – Whatever you do, do not hold back. Go after ever ball, take every shot and go into every tackle as if it were your last.
- BE INVOLVED – Too many players tend to “hide” when it comes time for tryouts. What I mean by this is that some players go through the motions of a drill or exercise without drawing too much attention. Drawing attention is exactly what you want to do during tryouts (but the right kind of attention). If you “hide”, then how are you supposed to get noticed among all of the other players fighting for the same roster spot that you are?
- BE LOUD – If you are one of those quiet players, then it is time to change that. Communication is crucial not only in tryouts, but in all aspects of soccer. Coaches want to see talkative players. Call for every ball and communicate with your teammates. Everyone should know when you want the ball.
- BE RESPECTFUL – Be respectful to your coaches. Even if you have known the coach for years, you should still use your manners. This shows that you are mature enough to respect your elders. It is very possible that you might find yourself playing a foreign position because either the coach doesn’t know you or because you simply got unlucky. Don’t panic. Do your best at whatever position you are stuck in until there is a stoppage in play. Then, in a polite manner, ask the coach running your field if you might be able to have a go at your favorite position.
- PLAY YOUR GAME – Tryouts can seem somewhat daunting, but in reality it is just another day that you are privileged enough to play the best sport on Earth. If you play like it was any other day, then I have no doubt that you will own tryouts. Leave it all out on the field and find a way to get yourself noticed.